Security

Interesting... passwd file over rules user-seed.conf

reswob4
Builder

Not sure if this has been seen by others and it didn't turn up in my searches...

I have a 7.3.3 instance where I forgot the admin password. So I created a $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/user-seed.conf, restarted, but I couldn't log in with the password. Additionally, the user-seed.conf file was still present.

Turns out there was still a $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/passwd file (presumably from previous upgrades). I moved that to the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/passwd.bak, restarted and then Splunk used the user-seed.conf file to reset the admin password.

Hope this helps someone else...

1 Solution

reswob4
Builder

More of a statement above than a question..

View solution in original post

0 Karma

reswob4
Builder

More of a statement above than a question..

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...