Security

I need help accessing web interface

syx093
Communicator

I accidentally overwrote my bin directory for my laptop running centos 7, which was my splunk server. After reinstalling the os and splunk, I am now unable to get access to the splunk web interface. I checked to see if port 8000 was open using nmap and it was. The output was:

PORT      STATE     SERVICE
8000       open      http-alt

Is there something I am missing because the web interface will not load and it just sits there.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can have the port open but still be blocking with a firewall. Did you check iptables and make sure that port is open (you can turn it off entirely just to be sure that is not blocking it)? Have you tried to telnet to it on localhost? If you can't, it has to be the firewall.

0 Karma

syx093
Communicator

I tried to telnet into the localhost and I was blocked. I have been trying to make an exception in the firewall but I have been making no success. Do know of a way to open up a port in the fire wall?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

First you need to identify what firewall is included in your distribution (it may or may not be iptables). Then, to test, turn the firewall completely off and see if it works.

0 Karma

syx093
Communicator

I was able to open up a port in the firewall (tested it with telnet successfully) and I test it when the firewall was disable and I still cannot load into my splunk web interface.

0 Karma

syx093
Communicator

I finally got it to work but how I got it to work does not make sense. I had to turn off the wifi or internet access in order to finally log into the splunk web interface. Why did it suddenly start working after that?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...