Security

How to configure SSL certificate to recognize mutliple DNS names for one splunk server?

emixam3
Explorer

Hi,
I made certificates from external CA for all my splunk servers, and that works! No problem, splunk documentation is very clear on it.
I use OpenSSL.
My problem is that my servers have two or more DNS names. For example, server1.domain.com and web.domain.com for the same server.
When I made the server certificate just for server1.domain.com, that works.
Same thing, of course, with web.domain.com.
But when I made the server certificate for both, with server1.domain.com in commonName field and web.domain.com in subjectAltName field, as OpenSSL documentation says, I've got and error in my browser if I navigate to web.domain.com. It says that the certificate is made for server1.domain.com.
How can I do for my certificate working for both dns name?

I hope I'm quite clear in my explanations, english is not my native language.

Thanks for all.

0 Karma

JasonParms

For creating your own certificate with OpenSSL, you should specify the "Common Name" *.example.com instead of server1.example.com or web.example.com while generating the certificate signing request (CSR). It will secure your all sub-domains under the example.com.

It is recommended to use trusted CA signed certificate for reduce the risk from future cyber attacks.

0 Karma

scruse
Path Finder

if i remember correctly from when i did my SSL config, subjectAltName was deprecated from the config within splunk. What i ended up doing is just going wildcard cert for all of my splunk instances. May not be the best solution but it works flawlessly

emixam3
Explorer

OK.
Have you got some documentation about subjectAltName deprecation?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...