Security
Highlighted

How do I reset the Password if I do not remember the original one? (working on a MAC)

Engager

I am a Newbie and was having no trouble yesterday. Today, I booted up and it is as if either I forgot the password I entered or else the program is working with another entry.

Highlighted

Re: How do I reset the Password if I do not remember the original one? (working on a MAC)

Legend

To reset the Splunk password, go to the directory and remove the passwd file. $SPLUNK_HOME represents the directory where you installed Splunk.

cd $SPLUNK_HOME/etc
mv passwd old.passwd                        # for mac or linux

Then restart Splunk. The Splunk user will be "admin" and the password will be "changeme".

Highlighted

Re: How do I reset the Password if I do not remember the original one? (working on a MAC)

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Any other existing users in the old file old.passwd can be added back into the newly created passwd file after the restart.

cheers, MuS

Highlighted

Engager

Based on the advice of Iguinn and MuS, I went into the Splunk Folder using MAC's "Finder". Going into Apps/Splunk/, I went folder by folder to find the passwd document (located in /Splunk/etc). Then, I set up a folder called OLD and moved the PASSWD document into it.

At first, it appeared that this did not solve the problem, and then I realized it was necessary to restart.

I simply used the admin and changeme entries and was able to proceed.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help a beginner. I speaks well of the Splunk User Community,
Judopp

0 Karma
Highlighted

How do you restart splunk?

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

On *nix:

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk restart

On windows:

$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\splunk.exe restart

For both $SPLUNK_HOME is the path you installed Splunk.

cheers, MuS

0 Karma