Security

Encrypting traffic between universal forwarder and indexer

snix
Communicator

I would like to start encrypting traffic between the universal forwarder on my Windows devices and my single Splunk 9.x indexer that is on a Windows server. For the moment I am only concerned with getting SSL going on the indexer. I see you can also setup a certificate on the clients for authentication to the server but I want to take it one step at a time. 

I have a GoDaddy cert I would like to use with the indexer and I have looked over much of the documentation on Splunk's site on all the ways you can make this configuration work but it left me confused. I can't find any mention to what to do about the public key. I see where the documentation references the server certificate and even the sslPassword in the input.conf file but no reference where to to put the key location.

Is it just assumed you combine the server cert + the private key into a single pem file and if so is the order just server cert first then private key?

Example:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----
-----END PRIVATE KEY-----

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The proper order for the pem file is

1. Subject's certificate
  2. Subject's private key
  3. Issuing CA certificate chain (unless you explicitly trust the issuer of the subject's certificate).

The location of the file is tricky because the settings can be either inherited from the default server-wide settings which you set up in server.conf - https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/admin/serverconf#SSL.2FTLS_Configuration_details or can be overriden at the specific input level.

As a side note - certificates for web interface are configured differently.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...