Security

Can I resolve these LetsEncrypt Server Cert CA issues?

gwaters

Hello,

I have a Splunk forwarder forwarding logs to a Splunk Server, and the SplunkServer is using a LetsEncrypt CA cert. I have tried a couple of directives but they dont see to work.

Here are my configs:

outputs.conf
[tcpout] 
useACK = true 
indexAndForward = false 
defaultGroup = splunkssl 
forwardedindex.0.whitelist = modsec 

[tcpout:splunkssl] 
compressed = true 
server = splunkserver.ip.com:9998 
clientCert = /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/certs/client.pem 

[tcpout-server://splunkserver.ip.com:9998] 
#sslRootCAPath = /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/certs/cacert.pem 
sslRootCAPath = /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/certs/letsencryptca.pem sslVerifyServerCert = true 
sslCommonNameToCheck = splunkserver-alias.ip.com

I found my issue here in the forums, but the response was to disable sslVerifyServerCert.. which I can not do.

Here is the error I get:

05-30-2023 16:19:21.265 -0700 ERROR TcpOutputFd - Connection to host=splunkserver.ip.com:9998 failed. sock_error = 0. SSL Error = error:14090086:SSL routines:ssl3_get_server_certificate:certificate verify failed - please check the output of the `openssl verify` command for the certificates involved; note that if certificate verification is enabled (requireClientCert or sslVerifyServerCert set to "true"), the CA certificate and the server certificate should not have the same Common Name.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...