I'm trying to configure Splunk to allow LDAP authentication. I select "Configure Splunk to use LDAP and map groups" and then complete the LDAP strategy. I then select Map groups and map roles to groups. I am currently using one group as a test that has two users in it. I can see all the groups and my target group. I select my target group and give them a role. For testing purposes, I gave them the power role. I saved, backed out, and checked the user section, but they were not there. I reloaded authentication configuration and they were still not there. When I attempt to login with one of those users I receive the following errors:
-0400 ERROR UserManagerPro - LDAP Login Failed, could not find a valid user="xxx" on any configured servers -0400 ERROR AuthenticationManagerLDAP - Could not find user ="xxx" with strategy="LDAP"
Also watching TCPdump on the server I can see the traffic going to the LDAP server while attempting to log in.
In short, I mapped groups to roles, but I am unable to login with any of those users.
Do you have the userBaseDN configured? Are your users within that base DN?
Yes and yes.
I can see the users when I select the group to map a role to, but I can't see them under the users and they are not able to sign in.
Ok. Would it be possible to post your authentication and authorize conf files here? Getting rid of any sensitive info of course?
authType = LDAP
authSettings = ldaphost1
admin = SPLUNKIA_ADM
SSLEnabled = 1
anonymousreferrals = 1
bindDN = CN=ldap sa\, splunk,OU=Enterprise Service Accounts,DC=xxx,DC=xxx,DC=xxx
bindDNpassword = $1$s0IT6ghwgSvOB9ADovClFg==
charset = utf8
emailAttribute = mail
groupBaseDN = OU=Enterprise Security Groups,DC=xxx,DC=xxx,DC=xxx
groupMappingAttribute = dn
groupMemberAttribute = member
groupNameAttribute = cn
host = x.x.x.x
nestedGroups = 0
networktimeout = 20
port = 636
realNameAttribute = cn
sizelimit = 5000
timelimit = 20
userBaseDN = OU=Enterprise Security Groups,DC=xxx,DC=xxx,DC=xxx
userNameAttribute = samaccountname
schedulertsearch = disabled
srchMaxTime = 8640000
srchIndexesDefault = *
srchMaxTime = 8640000
cumulativeRTSrchJobsQuota = 0
cumulativeSrchJobsQuota = 0
importRoles = user
rtSrchJobsQuota = 1
srchMaxTime = 0
srchTimeWin = 360
I adjust the timelimit and network_timeout, they are no longer both 20... but everything else is the same.
So you're trying to map to the admin role now then (not power), right? Sorry nothing is standing out to me.
I thought maybe your users were in a different OU than your groups, so maybe Splunk couldn't find them. But if they're all in there, that's not the problem.
Maybe you should turn on debug logging for the LDAP stuff? It might be a lot to sift through, but could help you identify where the problem is (Server Settings -> Server Logging, search for LDAP and change to debug)
Thanks, I'll try that and see if I can find anything.
-0400 DEBUG ScopedLDAPConnection - strategy="ldaphost1" LDAP Server returned no entries in search for DN="CN=SPLUNKIAADM,OU=Enterprise Security Groups,DC=xxx,DC=xxx,DC=xxxl" filter="(&(samaccountname=xxx)(cn=*))".
-0400 DEBUG ScopedLDAPConnection - strategy="ldaphost1" LDAP Server returned no entries in search for DN="CN=SPLUNKIAADM,OU=Enterprise Security Groups,DC=xxx,DC=xxx,DC=xxx" filter="(&(cn=cn=xxx,ou=domain admins,dc=xxx,dc=xxx,dc=xxx)(samaccountname=*))".
-0400 DEBUG UserManagerPro - LoadLDAPUsersThread: strategy="ldaphost1" Attempting to get user="cn=xxx,ou=domain admins,dc=xxx,dc=xxx,dc=xxx" from LDAP to map to roles="admin"