Reporting

Use schedule report for Dashboard output?

nivets
Engager

I have scheduled report which will give the result of hostname and some other details in the table format and now i need to use this schedule report to get the same output in my dashboard. The dashboard should not rerun everytime i open it. 

For example:

i have scheduled report which will run everyday at 00:00 and return the details in table format and the same details should be shown in dashboard untill the next schedule report runs.

can anyone help how to work on this

Labels (1)
0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can either use `|loadjob`to load the results from the search but be aware that in case the results are no longer present you won't have data showed in the dashboard which might be the case depending on the time interval of you search and how long splunk will keep the results. I've used this in the past to make dashboards load faster for several users. 
Another approach is to `|outputlookup my results.csv` in the scheduled search to dump the results into a lookup/csv and then use `|inputlookup my results.csv`to load the results into a dashboard.

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are right, you can use loadjob with the savedsearch option as an alternative, but you need to use the fully qualified name of the report (as you say, using the sid from an earlier search may not work if the results have been already been removed)

| loadjob savedsearch="<user-string>:<app-string>:<search-name-string>"

I find it easier to use the ref which doesn't require knowing who owns the report etc., it just has to be visible to you 😀

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
  <search ref="Report name"/>
0 Karma

nivets
Engager

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried both |loadjob and <search ref="report name"/> both are returning the outputs but the outputs which are returning is not matching with the output from the scheduled report.

Means, i have created a scheduled report with action send the results with csv format to my inbox. if i am creating the dashboard with the same scheduled report it should return the output of last ran output , right?

If yes , then am seeing the difference in the results

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In what way are they different - don't forget that csv can be truncated to 10000 rows?

0 Karma

nivets
Engager

we dont have more than 500 rows. i have compared the both results from the csv file and results from the dashboard panel 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Interesting - it always comes out the same for me - can you share your dashboard SimpleXML?

0 Karma

nivets
Engager

Please find the below XML:

Using Loadjob

<dashboard>
<label>Report</label>
<row>
<panel>
<table>
<search>
<query> |loadjob savedsearch="admin:search:savedsearchreport"| table host,index</query>
</search>
</table>
</panel>
</row>
</dashboard>

Using ref:

<dashboard>
<label>Report</label>
<search id="basesearch" ref="savedsearchreport"/>
<row>
<panel>
<table>
<search base="basesearch">
<query> | table host,index</query>
</search>
</table>
</panel>
</row>
</dashboard>

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I see no reason why this wouldn't work - how are these tables different to the csv you received? More rows? Fewer rows? Different fields? Multi-value fields? Completely different data?

0 Karma

nivets
Engager

Not totally different,  like some of the field values  available in csv file are not available in dashboard and  some of the field values available in dashboard are not available in csv file.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...