Reporting

Summary index bug, timestamps set "2020-12-09" as "2020-09-12"

LucLu
Loves-to-Learn Lots

We meet on question is , when the u_worked_date is “2020-12-09”, some of them timestamps is “2020-12-09”, others is “2020-09-12”,I do not know what cause this, Other dates in December can be set as timestamps normally. So I think it maybe a bug of summary index.

Bellow is my SPL

index=idx_snow_task_time sourcetype=snow_task_time

| dedup sys_id

| table sys_id u_worked_date time_worked rate_type sys_updated_by task u_task_category u_actual_time user

| eval _time=strptime(u_worked_date,"%Y-%m-%d")

| collect index=idx_summary_snow_task_time_by_worked_date source="Snow Task Time by Worked Date"

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @LucLu,

I see that you define _time in your scheduled search but you don't use it in the table command, please, try in this way:

index=idx_snow_task_time sourcetype=snow_task_time
| dedup sys_id
| eval _time=strptime(u_worked_date,"%Y-%m-%d")
| table _time sys_id u_worked_date time_worked rate_type sys_updated_by task u_task_category u_actual_time user
| collect index=idx_summary_snow_task_time_by_worked_date source="Snow Task Time by Worked Date"

In this way, you're sure that in the summary index you have the correct _time.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @LucLu,

can you share some sample of your data?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

LucLu
Loves-to-Learn Lots

this is the SPL data:

LucLu_1-1611561221188.png

and this is data from summary index:

LucLu_2-1611561279519.png

you can see that only head 10 _time = u_worked_date

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @LucLu,

could you share a sample of the row data? at least one or two samples of the wrong data and one or two samples of the correct data.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Tags (1)
0 Karma

LucLu
Loves-to-Learn Lots

wrong raw data:

LucLu_0-1611562305947.png

correct raw data:

LucLu_1-1611562328140.png

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @LucLu,

to avoid that Splunk makes an error in timestamp reading, configure

[your_sourcetype]
TIME_FORMAT = %m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S %z

in yous props.conf for that sourcetype.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

LucLu
Loves-to-Learn Lots

oh ,thanks @gcusello 

this is an summary index , do not have sourcetype,  do you mean set the default sourcetype stash's time_format? if I change this , will it affect all of the summary index?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @LucLu,

The problem, probably isn't in the scheduled search to populate the summary index, check if in the indexed data (not in summary) the timestamp in those events is correctly read.

if not, the only way is to use the TIME_FORMAT option in props (I usually set everytime this parameter!). 

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

LucLu
Loves-to-Learn Lots

@gcusello 

when I run the scheduled search the date is correct, just in summary index have some problem.

I set the TIME_FORMART , but the problem have not resolved. 😭

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...