Path Finder

Hi All,

I would like to generate a report that includes the following parameter

1. Host Name
  2. Host IP
  3. Host OS type
  4. Log Source type
  5. Amount of logs indexed.

Also i would like to create a report that can state the current searches in Splunk?

Please help

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lukejadamec
Super Champion

You can do:

1.Host Name

2.Host IP

3.Host OS type

4.Amount of logs indexed.

With

index=_internal (source=*/metrics.log* OR source=*\\metrics.log*) group="tcpin_connections" |stats sum(kb) by hostname,sourceHost,os |sort -sum(kb) | rename sourceHost AS HostIP, hostname AS HostName, os AS OSType

And you can do sourcetype with:

index=_internal (source=*/metrics.log* OR source=*\\metrics.log*) group=per_sourcetype_thruput | stats sum(kb) by series |sort -sum(kb)

But you cannot get sourcetype by host. At least I can't figure out how to do it.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

Hi Luke,

i was actually running the first search but over group=per_host_thruput. I will surely run your search..but in my environment, i have 8 universal forwarders but in hostname filed in _internal index it is showing only 3. Why is this happening. Any idea??

Also, how can i list the saved searches in a report?

Please help!!

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Try this:
index=_internal (source=*/metrics.log* OR source=*\\metrics.log*) group="tcpin_connections" | fillnull value=null | dedup hostname| stats count by os | rename os AS OSType

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

yeah it is working now.. Luke if i have to display

1. OS type
  2. No of servers(of a specific OS type)

what modification should i made in the baove search.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Try adding fillnull value=null before stats.
index=_internal (source=*/metrics.log* OR source=*\\metrics.log*) group="tcpin_connections" | fillnull value=null | stats sum(kb) by hostname,sourceHost,os |sort -sum(kb) | rename sourceHost AS HostIP, hostname AS HostName, os AS OSType

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

I am just running the search that you specified.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

What search are you running exactly when you look for hosts?

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

All the universal forwarder are sending logs to indexer directly.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Are all hosts sending data to the indexer, or are some of the hosts sending data to other universal forwarders and then on to the indexer?

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

I am using universal forwarders

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Regarding the hosts, are you using heavy forwarders?

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

I am searching for the hosts over the whole time span.

Also i want to display search names and if i have done any modification in inbuilt searches.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

You want to list the search names, or you want to report the search results?
As for the hosts, first verify that you have data from the missing hosts in the timeframe you're searching.

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

Done luke. :). I would be really helpful if you could also guide me in solving the problem of discrepenancy of no of actual hosts and listed in _internal.

All the searches that i have created in splunk, i want to show them in a report.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

For starters, if you like my answer then you could upvote it:)
What do you mean when you say "list the saved searches" exactly?

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

You can do:

1.Host Name

2.Host IP

3.Host OS type

4.Amount of logs indexed.

With

index=_internal (source=*/metrics.log* OR source=*\\metrics.log*) group="tcpin_connections" |stats sum(kb) by hostname,sourceHost,os |sort -sum(kb) | rename sourceHost AS HostIP, hostname AS HostName, os AS OSType

And you can do sourcetype with:

index=_internal (source=*/metrics.log* OR source=*\\metrics.log*) group=per_sourcetype_thruput | stats sum(kb) by series |sort -sum(kb)

But you cannot get sourcetype by host. At least I can't figure out how to do it.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Group per_host_thruput will list the host in the field "series".
Group tcpin will list the host in the field hostname.
Are you sure that the hosts have sent data in the time frame that you are searching?

0 Karma

ShaneNewman
Motivator

Why don't you just download the deployment monitor app? It has all of that pre-built.

http://apps.splunk.com/app/1294/

alt text

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

This does not show sourcetype thruput by host, nor does it show the host IP.

0 Karma

lohit
Path Finder

just to clear more on the parameters 'host name', 'host ip', 'host os type' are the details of the host from which logs are coming.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...