Reporting

Splunk 5.0 Error - An error occurred while rendering the page template. See web_service.log for more details

watsm10
Communicator

I keep getting this error "An error occurred while rendering the page template. See web_service.log for more details" appear when I try to click on a saved search in manager in Splunk Web. After I restart Splunk, I can access that saved search, but after I've made my change and saved it I keep getting the same error message until I've restarted Splunk again.

I can't create, edit or delete saved searches through the GUI.. which is really annoying!

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

1 Solution

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@Drainy is correct.

This problem is caused by a regression in Splunk 5.0 and 5.0.1 which impacts certain methods to list indexes, such as:

• The eventcount command
  • REST API calls to the /services/data/indexes endpoint

In 5.0 and 5.0.1, these methods fail to use cached assets and end up iterating over the files of your indexes themselves. This results in a much slower execution, which eventually affects whatever consumer calls the method.

In the Manager user interface, this affects some of the pages that need to present a list of indexes such as:

• The page showing the details of a saved search (Manager > Searches & Reports > $SAVED_SEARCH_NAME)
  • The setup page for most data inputs (Manager > Data Inputs > Files & Directories > Add new)
  • The page where you can list and edit indexes (Manager > Indexes)
  • The page where you can edit roles (Manager > Access controls > Roles)

If the index-listing method takes more than 30s to complete, Splunkweb will time out on it and display a "500 - internal server error" message.

This issue will be fixed in maintenance release 5.0.2, which we are aiming to deliver early in 2013. We are also working on intermediary patch release 5.0.1.1 to specifically address this issue.

For reference, the bugs behind this problem are SPL-57518 and SPL-58650.

View solution in original post

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...