Reporting

Run a Scheduled Report on Demand

shocko
Contributor

Guys, I have a scheduled report that is e-mail to about 10 people once weekly. Often though I'd like to trigger it on an ad-hoc basis so it gets sent again. Currently, I simply export the results to a PDF and e-mail it but this is a pain 🙂 How can I do send the report from Splunk by triggering it?

Tags (1)

codebuilder
Influencer

You can manually schedule a saved search via the command line.

This is the syntax that I currently use:

curl -k -u admin:password https://xx.xxx.xxx.xx:8089/servicesNS/admin/your_app_name_here/saved/searches/saved_search_name_here... -d schedule_time=2020-02-14T011:42:CST.

Worth noting:
The period after CST is required, it's not punctuation in this case.
The "reschedule" does not actually alter or impact the original configured schedule.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!

codebuilder
Influencer

Also, below is the syntax to use if your saved search is not within the context of an app.

curl -k -u admin:password https://xx.xxx.xxx.xx:8089/servicesNS/admin/saved/searches/saved_search_name_here/reschedule -d schedule_time=2020-02-14T011:42:CST.

----

codebuilder
Influencer

If you found this advice helpfu, please accept the answer as it benefits the entire community, which is the goal.

----

radam2000
Path Finder

yes so how do I do that...I don't see any cron options in the drop down for edit schedule

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You can change the cron schedule, temporarily, to something in next 5-10 mins, wait for the alert to run successfully and revert back. Other option would be to add a sendemail command, with options matching your alert email setting (To,Cc,Subject, attachment etc) and run the search manually. I prefer the first one as it doesn't require additional testing.

0 Karma

spunk311z
Path Finder

thanks for your answer, so am i correct to assume that there is no way to do this in splunk directly? (ie there is no place or way to click run scheduled report now?)
tks

0 Karma

patterc
Path Finder

i have the same question. it would be really nice to be able to click a button and have a report run from the Reports tab within an app. sometimes the scheduled search returns partial results or doesn't work at all (especially if there was an issue getting data indexed) and then the dashboard that uses a report is wrong. just being able to run the reports ad-hoc instead of rewriting the cron schedule would be much nicer.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...