Reporting

Regex to extract quoted text aftera stats command

cindygibbs_08
Communicator

I hope everyone is having a great time today,
I am here to first thank you guys for being so helpful and assertive! you people rock! and second to ask for assistance regarding a regular expression.
I have a field that will contain a string that will start by "check-in unavailable due to external cause the ref code is ##AIUI- 989 K-IOJ##"
I want to be able to extract the string that is between the "##"  but... sometimes this field may have a string that starts by "the auth was..." I want to be able to extract any string   between two "#" whenever the value of the field starts with  "check-in unavailable due to external cause the ref code is"  

for example
 if I have this:

FIELDCODE
"check-in unavailable due to external cause the ref code is ##AIUI- 989 K-IOJ##AIUI- 989 K-IOJ
"the auth was denied code ## uik-55855##"N.A

thank you guys SO MUCH

Kindy,

Cindy

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| makeresults 
| eval _raw="check-in unavailable due to external cause the ref code is ##AIUI- 989 K-IOJ##
the auth was denied code ## uik-55855##"
| multikv noheader=t
| fields _raw
| rex "check-in unavailable due to external cause the ref code is ##(?<code>[^#]+)##"

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| makeresults 
| eval _raw="check-in unavailable due to external cause the ref code is ##AIUI- 989 K-IOJ##
the auth was denied code ## uik-55855##"
| multikv noheader=t
| fields _raw
| rex "check-in unavailable due to external cause the ref code is ##(?<code>[^#]+)##"

cindygibbs_08
Communicator

I have a question what would the rex function will look like if instead of two "#" the coude would come inside two "*"  like this :  **UID J- DIDD**, I would just change the "#" by "*"??

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Asterisks "*" have special meaning in regex so each would need to be escaped with a backslash "\"

| makeresults 
| eval _raw="check-in unavailable due to external cause the ref code is **AIUI- 989 K-IOJ**
the auth was denied code ** uik-55855**"
| multikv noheader=t
| fields _raw
| rex "check-in unavailable due to external cause the ref code is \*\*(?<code>[^\*]+)\*\*"

0 Karma

cindygibbs_08
Communicator

@ITWhisperer  I am in love with you

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks Cindy ❤️😁

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...