Reporting

How to monitor log source / index outages?

Glasses
Builder

I have about a dozen data sources that I want to monitor for an outage...  like>>> No Events in Last 60 minutes.

Currently I have been using a separate alerts for each data source / index which run every hour and alert if there are 1 < events.

I am just wondering if there is a better way to do this....  I also have to contend with some sources having longer that 60 minute delay at times...

Thank you

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Glasses
Builder

Thank you for the suggestion, but we were not able to create alerts for individual indexes / data sources with |metadata , maybe you know how to do that...?

So we are currently using time interval outage alerts for each specific index AND/OR sourcetype AND/OR source.

For example >>> 

| tstats count where index=<foo>  sourcetype=<bar>  earliest=<-60m>

the result is a count and thus in the alerts we use custom alert trigger  "search count=0"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rafamss
Contributor

I used these two commands below to perform what you are doing. You can use your personal rule to trigger an alert or just monitor it in a Dashboard for example.

#01 - Monitor the incoming data from hosts
| metadata type=hosts
| convert ctime(lastTime), cTime(recentTime)
#02 - Monitor the incoming data from sourcetypes
| metadata type=sourcetypes
#03 - Monitor the incoming data from an specific index
| metadata type=sourcetypes index=_internal

And take a look at this post on Splunk' Blog: https://www.splunk.com/en_us/blog/tips-and-tricks/metadata-metalore.html

0 Karma

Glasses
Builder

Thank you for the suggestion, but we were not able to create alerts for individual indexes / data sources with |metadata , maybe you know how to do that...?

So we are currently using time interval outage alerts for each specific index AND/OR sourcetype AND/OR source.

For example >>> 

| tstats count where index=<foo>  sourcetype=<bar>  earliest=<-60m>

the result is a count and thus in the alerts we use custom alert trigger  "search count=0"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...