Reporting

Count of new Ids per day.

jindal

I have a log statement in which we print an id which may be called as clientid. I would like to check if there is any way to create a report that would give us the no of new clients added per day.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

This will do it:

yoursearchhere
| stats first(_time) as FirstSeenOn by clientUuid
| stats count as NewClients by FirstSeenOn

The search just needs to identify your data, perhaps sourcetype=xyz or whatever.

This search needs to run over "All Time" to be accurate. As @lukejademec points out, this isn't very efficient. It would great if there was a database or table that contained the ids of existing clients...

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Step 1: Create a new index with the name 'summary' in it (so you know it's a summary) like this: "ClientID-summary".
Step 2: Create a saved search that collects all ClientIDs and any other event information you think might be useful. This is important - you mention now that you want only ClientIDs, but will that always be the case? For the current use case you could use a search similar to this: index=yourindex source=yoursource clientUuid=* | table _time clientUuid

Step 3: Schedule the search to run at a time when you are certain all applicable events have been indexed - consider latency and system down time issues. Something like earliest=-2h15s@s latest=-1h@s. This may result in some duplicates, but that should not be a problem in this usecase, and duplicates can be filtered out if necessary.

Step 4: While scheduling the search, select the summary index that you created in Step 2.

Step 5: Use the backfill script to mine the history of your index/source. See this link(read the whole thing): http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.3/Knowledge/Managesummaryindexgapsandoverlaps

Step 6: Run a search on your new summary index, when it's been populated. Something like this: Run an all-time search index=yoursummaryindex | dedup clientUuid sortby +_time | table _time clientUuid | where _time=relative_time(now(),"-1d@d") AND _time<0d@d
I've not tried this....
Now that I think about it, you could also run this same search on your regular index/sourcetype. If it takes too much time, then you should use a summary index.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

The summary index? To create that you use the settings or manager GUI. It depends on what version you're on. When you create it I recommend namimg it "Summary-someting".

See the Create and Edit Indexes section of this doc:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.3/Indexer/Setupmultipleindexes

Set it to your version in the upper right of the page.

0 Karma

jindal

Could you tell us how to create the index?

0 Karma

jindal

There are more than a million clients here. Could you help me with the query string to fire for index. I am new to splunk and would really appreciate the help.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

How many clients?
If there is less than say 30,000 you can use a lookup to store unique clients. If there are millions, then you should use a summary index to store unique clients.

0 Karma

jindal

Log line looks like

May 2 11:31:21 server1 stdout: : [09:27:55.750] 09:27:55.750 [AsyncQueue[]-26] INFO MSIPL - logRequest done, Request{reqId=624c76f7-ed8e-4196-b8da-124dde458615, affiliateId=0, clientUuid=7b09f2afcb673f72, locale='en_US'}

Here clientUuid is unique to every client. I want to check how many new clients (no of clients requesting today for the first time ever) have been added per day.

0 Karma

sdaniels
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Need more details. Can you provide some sample events? Also, how do we know that the clientid is new? Or do you simply want a count of all in a 24 hour period?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...