Reporting

After adding another file to a monitored directory, why is there no change in the search results for a report?

adityaanand
Explorer

Hi,

I am trying to monitor a directory called RSD and it contains a file RSDReport.xml.
When i start searching it shows 500 events and i made a simple report.
After some time, i added another file RSDReport1.xml in the RSD directory, but there are no changes in the search result.

Now my questions are:
1) should the report be automatically update without any event generated by me?
2) Should i run the search again?
3) Will I have to restart the splunk service?

One thing i would like to mention here is that both files don't contain the same initial 256 bytes
Again, when i added initCrcLength = 2000 in inputs.conf, restarted the splunk service, and ran the search again, it gave the expected output.
I am thinking that when i am monitoring a directory, then changes should be reflected automatically. We need not bother about to restart splunk service and re-run the search.

Please guide me about directory monitoring. I read documentation and i have a little bit idea about it.

Thanks,
Aditya

Tags (3)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I think you have a TZ issue with your timestamping and your "nowish" events are showing up "in the future". To test this, the next time you forward a file, run your search for all time which is the only way to see events mis-timestamped into the future. There is also a log that shows this. You can confirm this sort of a problem with this search:

... | eval lagSeconds = _indextime - _time | stats avg(lagSeconds) by sourcetype,host,index

If the lagTime is negative, then you definitely have this problem.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...