Monitoring Splunk

Why is the Windows Event Log indexing slow?

spiced

I indexed about 1GB of Windows Event Logs for a forensic analysis. I added the data by monitoring the folder where the Event Log files are located. The indexing took about 18 hours to complete. The load of server that I used for processing is low. I do not understand why processing 1GB of event logs takes so much time, I would expect it to take about 30 Minutes. Is there a way I can speed this process up? How can I find out what the bottlenech of the processing is? How do I find out when the processing is finished. I refreshed the search from time to time until I no additional events showed up?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You probably have the default maxKBps which I think is 1024. Set this to 0 in limits.conf on your forwarders.

0 Karma

spiced

I only have an indexer, there is no forwarder. On the indexer maxKBps is already set to 0 so it must be something else.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...