Monitoring Splunk

Why dispatch directory on new Indexer added to the cluster is taking so much space compared to other Indexers ?

damode
Motivator

I am getting the below error message on a new Indexer that I recently added to a cluster (which previously had 2 Indexers)

Search peer NEW_INDEXER has the following message: The minimum free disk space (5000MB) reached for /opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/dispatch.

Checking disk space on this Indexer, it seems its already filled to 24Gb, whereas, on old Indexers, one is 12GB and other has used 14 GB.

Why is there so much difference in disk space used for this directory between all Indexers ?

Also, please advise how this can be fixed. (other than just extending the directory space, which I had already requested storage team to increase)

0 Karma

chinmoya
Communicator

Hi,

You can remove this message bu updating the settings

Goto : Settings>Server settings General settings

Reduce - Pause indexing if free disk space (in MB) falls below    from 5000 to 500.

Please note this is just a configuration which changes the setting to generate the message when the disk space falls below 500MB insted of 5GB(your current setting)

As to why your disk space on the new indexer is taking this amount of space, would need a detailed investigation of your confs.
If environment is clustered - can you perform 1 check

On the cluster master . Goto

Settings > Indexer Clustering > Indexes >  Bucket Status
Check if there is anything under Indexes with Excess Buckets

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...