Monitoring Splunk

What is the best app to monitor Linux in Splunk?

sandeepmakkena
Contributor

This is my 1st time working with apps, so I have few questions.

1. We have a forwarder installed on our host forwarding data to a different index. I want to install Nmon or *nix to monitor Linux systems. What would be the process or steps to get it done ? (I am not sure search head is on the same server with Indexer or not)

2. Which one of the apps are better (right now we are looking only for dashboards)?

3. Are they free or do they have license cost ?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your using Splunk 7 or newer try the metricator app for the search heads
Install Technical Addon for the Metricator application for Nmon anywhere you want metrics from (for example search heads, universal forwarders, et cetera)
Support Addon for the Metricator application for Nmon is for the indexers/index setup

Documentation here

The *nix TA doesn't use metrics but can also gather stats/has basic dashboards, Splunk Add-on for Linux has dashboards for metrics and assumes you collect stats via collectd or similar.

Have a read and decide which one you want, they are all free so install and test them and then decide...
Here's the link for the Nix TA: Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux

View solution in original post

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your using Splunk 7 or newer try the metricator app for the search heads
Install Technical Addon for the Metricator application for Nmon anywhere you want metrics from (for example search heads, universal forwarders, et cetera)
Support Addon for the Metricator application for Nmon is for the indexers/index setup

Documentation here

The *nix TA doesn't use metrics but can also gather stats/has basic dashboards, Splunk Add-on for Linux has dashboards for metrics and assumes you collect stats via collectd or similar.

Have a read and decide which one you want, they are all free so install and test them and then decide...
Here's the link for the Nix TA: Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...