Monitoring Splunk

Performance difference between using SEDCMD and older REGEX/TRANSFORMS method

DrewO
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Is there a performance difference between using the SEDCMD syntax in just props.conf versus using the older method which uses TRANSFORMS and calls a stanza in transforms.conf using REGEX?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

For the particular case of s/one/two/ vs ^(.*?)one(.*)$ -> $1two$2, the former is possibly very slightly faster, but differences in the efficiencies of the regex used (e.g., using (.*?) vs (.*)) would probably enormously outweigh that. Note that it's actually not possible to use s/one/two/g (i.e., with the g flag) to replace multiple occurrences with TRANSFORMS.

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

For the particular case of s/one/two/ vs ^(.*?)one(.*)$ -> $1two$2, the former is possibly very slightly faster, but differences in the efficiencies of the regex used (e.g., using (.*?) vs (.*)) would probably enormously outweigh that. Note that it's actually not possible to use s/one/two/g (i.e., with the g flag) to replace multiple occurrences with TRANSFORMS.

DrewO
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@Lowell yes that's what the student wanted to know. For one off replacements, like overwriting a credit card number/account code.

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

Just to be clear, the SEDCMD and TRANSFORMS index-time transformations are not exact drop-in replacements for each other. For example, SEDCMD character substitution (like y/ABC/abc/), and repeating replacements (like s/eggs/spam/g) are things that can only be done using SEDCMD, but SEDCMD is limited to only modifying the _raw field. So in your question, I'm assuming that your are specifically asking about where these two approaches overlap (a single replace operation on the _raw field.) If this is incorrect, please update your question.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...