Monitoring Splunk

License consumed, how to calculate the daily ingest per index?

corti77
Communicator

Hi,

Using Splunk 7.3.3.

I tried to find that information in the monitoring console without success.

then I tried with the following queries but I dont see big numbers for some unknown reason.

index=* | eval size=len(_raw) | eval GB=(size/1024/1024/1024) | stats sum(GB) by index

index=* | eval size=len(_raw) | eval GB=(size/1024/1024/1024) | timechart span=1d sum(GB) by index

I set the time frame to the last 3 days in Fast mode.

Any better way to identify the "guilty" input which is consuming the license?

thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @corti77,

to have the license consuption for index, you can use the standard Splunk licensing reports that you can find at [Settings -- Licensing -- Usage Report -- Previous 60 days -- split by index].

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

corti77
Communicator

Hi @gcusello 

I forgot to mention it, our Splunk is associated with other remote Splunk master so that option is not available for us.

When I try to go to that page, I received the following message

This server is associated with a remote master license server

any other way to get the same information from a "slave" splunk?

thanks

Jose

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @corti77,

Have you access to the Splunk Monitor Console?

if yes, you have the same information.

If not, you can use the following search

index=_internal [`set_local_host`] source=*license_usage.log* type="Usage" 
| eval h=if(len(h)=0 OR isnull(h),"(SQUASHED)",h) 
| eval s=if(len(s)=0 OR isnull(s),"(SQUASHED)",s) 
| eval idx=if(len(idx)=0 OR isnull(idx),"(UNKNOWN)",idx) 
| bin _time span=1d 
| stats sum(b) as b by _time, pool, s, st, h, idx   
| timechart span=1d sum(b) AS volumeB by idx fixedrange=false  
| join type=outer _time [ search 
     index=_internal [`set_local_host`] source=*license_usage.log* type="RolloverSummary" earliest=-30d@d 
     | eval _time=_time - 43200 
     | bin _time span=1d 
     | dedup _time stack 
     | stats sum(stacksz) AS "stack size" by _time
     ] 
| fields - _timediff  
| foreach * [eval <<FIELD>>=round('<<FIELD>>'/1024/1024/1024, 3)]

but you need to access the _internal index.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

aasabatini
Motivator

Hi @corti77 

try this search

index=_internal source=*license_usage.log type="Usage" splunk_server=* earliest=-1w@d | eval Date=strftime(_time, "%Y/%m/%d") | eventstats sum(b) as volume by idx, Date | eval MB=round(volume/1024/1024,5)| timechart first(MB) AS volume by idx

hope can help

“The answer is out there, Neo, and it’s looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.”
0 Karma

corti77
Communicator

thanks but I have no access to license_usage.log. our splunk depends to a master splunk and it might be not properly configured 😕

0 Karma

corti77
Communicator

Hi,

I tried that option Settings -> monitoring console --> Indexing-> license usage-> license usage - today

and it simply says "No results found"

I also tried your query but I didnt get any event either. I have access to _internal index but the source "license_usage.log" does not seem to be accessible. 

Cheers

jose

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @corti77,

This means that the License Master isn't configured (wrong!) to send it's internal logs to the Indexers.

In this case there isn't any solution to your problem without changing something:

• you (or someone else in your organization) have to configure the License Master to send internal logs to the Indexers;
  • you have to be enabled to access the License Server.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

corti77
Communicator

Hi @gcusello 

finally I changed the approach and I tried to find which host was indexing more data, and from there, identify which index was "consuming" the splunk license.

the query that make the magic was

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd group=per_host_thruput earliest=-1mon@mon latest=@mon | bucket _time span=1d | stats sum(kb) as total by series,_time | stats avg(total) as average by series
|eval averageMB=round(average/1024,2)
|fields - average
|rename series as "Host Server",averageMB as "Average size per day in MB" 

I hope it can help someone else.

Cheers

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...