Monitoring Splunk

Inputs.conf - use a variable

sbridge
Explorer

Hello all. I have a bunch of *nix machines which all mount the same shared file server location to write their logs (/mnt/logs for example). For various (mostly political) reasons, it will be very difficult for me to run a UF on the back-end fileserver, so I need to run a forwarder on each server, and only grab the logs for that one server. All the machines have a directory under the common share which matches the hostname of the machine (/mnt/logs/shorthostname). I could, of course, script the creation of inputs.conf on every machine, but it would be difficult to manage - I don't see how I could push a new inputs.conf from the DS.
Two questions:
1.) Is there any way to use a variable inside a monitor stanza that will contain the short hostname?
2.) Is there something similar to host_segment that I could use to set the sourcetype from the log path?

thank you,
-S

Tags (1)
0 Karma

sudosplunk
Motivator

Hello sbridge,

For managing inputs.conf, you can install an UF on the one server where logs from all your other servers are stored (/mnt/logs/shorthostname) and then manage it with DS.

Your other two questions:

1. Yes. You can use host_segement to in your monitor stanza to capture hostnames from file path.

2. Sourcetypes can be defined freely in inputs.conf with whatever name you want. You don't need a configuration setting to set sourcetype.

This is how your inputs.conf looks like:

[monitor:///mnt/logs/shorthostname1]
host_segment = 3
sourcetype = any_sourcetype_name_you_like

[monitor:///mnt/logs/shorthostname2]
host_segment = 3
sourcetype = any_sourcetype_name_you_like
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...