Monitoring Splunk

How to find the impacted records in last few minutes ?

Real_captain
Explorer

Hi 

I want to know if it is possible to show the number of impacted records in last 15 mins for the below search: 

Query: index = events_prod_tio_omnibus_esa ( "SESE023" OR "SESE020" OR "SESE030" )

Result: 

Real_captain_0-1717065882278.png

Requirement : 

For the above search, if the search is executed at :
11:30 ==> It will show 0 records 

11:40 ==> It will show 2 records (as the last event raised on 11:37:14 is having 2 records and currenttime - event time < 15 mins)

11:50 ==> It will show 2 records (as the last event raised on 11:37:14 is having 2 records and currenttime - event time < 15 mins)

11:55 ==> It will show 0 records (as the last event raised on 11:37:14 is having 2 records but currenttime - event time >15 mins)

Labels (1)
0 Karma

Real_captain
Explorer

Thanks @ITWhisperer  for an update. 

If I have to create Dashboard which will only display the number of records (example 2) if it is within 15 mins and 0 if latest event is less than 15 mins. 

Is it possible to create such dashboard ?? 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If I understand correctly, then yes; you could use a single to display a number, you just need a search to calculate the number for your. The stats command can easily count the number of events returned by the search.

0 Karma

Real_captain
Explorer

Hi @ITWhisperer 

My requirement is to fetch the value from the latest event (even if I restrict the search to 30 mins). 

Example :

Query : index = events_prod_tio_omnibus_esa ( "SESE023" ) sourcetype=Log_mvs
| rex field=msg "(ADV|ALERT REACH)\s* (?<Nb_msg>[^\s]+)"
| rex field=msg "NB\s* (?<Msg_typ>[^\s]+)"
| table Nb_msg

Result : 

Real_captain_0-1717073855362.png

I want to display the value "Nb_msg" in the result if there is any event in the last 15 mins. if there is no event in the last 15 mins , then display the value "0" in the result.

Currently with the query (attached above) , i am getting the value "Nb_msg" from all the events generated in last 15 mins. 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am not sure I understand - if you restrict the search to the last 15 minutes, you will either get a number of events or none. If you want to determine how many events you have you could do this

index = events_prod_tio_omnibus_esa ( "SESE023" ) sourcetype=Log_mvs
| rex field=msg "NB\s* (?<Msg_typ>[^\s]+)"
| table Nb_msg
| appendpipe
  [| stats count]
| table count
| where isnotnull(count)
0 Karma

Real_captain
Explorer

Sorry , my query was not that. 

I will try to explain it again. 

Query : 

index = events_prod_tio_omnibus_esa ( "SESE030" ) sourcetype=Log_mvs
|stats latest(Nb_msg) as Back_log

If there is no record fetched in last 15 mins , then currently it is showing "No results found. Try expanding the time range." I will to display the number as 0 instead of "No results found. Try expanding the time range.". 

Is it possible ?? 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try the appendpipe as I suggested

index = events_prod_tio_omnibus_esa ( "SESE030" ) sourcetype=Log_mvs
|stats latest(Nb_msg) as Back_log
| appendpipe
  [| stats count
   | where count=0
   | rename count as Back_log]
| table Back_log
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It looks like your event time is already in the _time field i.e. your timestamp parsing appears to be correct, therefore, if you restrict your search to the last 15 minutes, you won't get any events prior to that.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...