Monitoring Splunk

How to configure wait time on search heads and indexers?

DarshanBK
Explorer

For one splunk performance issue it was mentioned to us as below

"We have a wait time of 57ms on the Search Head and a wait time of 25ms on the indexer. A wait time of maximum 10ms is good for proper processing in Splunk. This could be the reason for the storage performance issue."

Could someone please let us know is there a parameter which denotes wait time on search head and indexers? If yes, please provide us some insight on what is that parameter and details about it.

0 Karma

a_kearney
Path Finder

We had a similar finding from Splunk with high I/O wait time on Search Heads. I have used the folllowing search to monitor

index=_introspection sourcetype=splunk_resource_usage component=IOStats
| eval avg_wait_ms = 'data.avg_total_ms'
| search data.mount_point="/apps/splunk"
| eval sla=10
| timechart limit=30 minspan=60s partial=f avg(data.avg_total_ms) as avg_wait_ms max(sla) AS sla by host

Use a trellis format (split by host) timechart to dispaly. The sla=10 field is to show the 10ms Splunk recommended limit.

I haven't been able to work out why we have high I/O on the Search Heads though, indexer cluster seems to perform OK. The Search Head Captain has notably higher I/O wait compared to others. There has also been issues with KV Store so wondering if that is related.

Note: I/O wait time is not a configuration that can be set. It is the result of the operations being carried out on the disk

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...