Monitoring Splunk

How do I check if Splunk is ingesting logs from a certain host /server or type of logs received?

SamHTexas
Builder

How do I check if Splunk is ingesting logs from a certain host /server or type of logs received? I need to validate if a certain server / host is sending data to Splunk please? Thank u in advance.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SamHTexas,

let me understand: you want to check if a list of hosts (from a lookup) is sending a kind of log, is it correct?

if this is your need, you have to do two preparatory activities:

• exactly identify logs to check (e.g. Windows logs with EventCode=4624);
  • prepare a lookup containing the hosts to check (e.g. called "perimeter.csv" and containing a column called "host").

then you have to run a search like this:

index=wineventlog EventCode=4624
| eval host=lower(host)
| stats count BY host
| append [ | inputlookup perimeter.csv | eval host=lower(host), count=0 | fields host count ]
| stats sum(count AS total BY host
| where total=0

In this way you have the list of the hosts from the lookup that didn't send logs og that kind.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

SamHTexas
Builder

Grazie for your response. Let's say we have a server called server5. I am trying to see if there are any logs being ingested into Splunk enterprise at all. So how do I search for that please? Thank u again.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SamHTexas,

if you have to check if you're receiving some kind of log from a single server still it's easier:

index=* host=server5
  • if there are logs , all OK,
  • if you haven't results, fire an alert.

The rule is:

if you have one host you can use a simple search like the above,

if instead you have more servers, i's better to use a lookup and the search of the previous answer.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...