Knowledge Management

is my data stored localy or in the cloud?

osandstedt

I have tried to search, but I have not found and good answer.
When I push data into spunk, is the data stored localy on a server? Or is it stored somewhere in a cloud?

We do want to keep all our data localy and not in a cloud.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

aholzer
Motivator

The answer to that depends on what Splunk you are using, and what your configurations look like.

Splunk enterprise (the one you download and install yourself) allows you to configure where the data is stored in the indexes.conf. As long as you have a mount to the location you are storing it, you can have it stored on the cloud, or locally. By default it will store it locally under $SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/.

If you are using Splunk Cloud, I hope the answer is clear.

Hope this helps

halr9000
Motivator

FYI, i converted your comment to an answer.

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

It's up to you. There are now four flagship products:

• Splunk Enterprise
  • Splunk Hunk
  • Splunk Light
  • Splunk Cloud

Of these, the first three are software that you install wherever you like. The last one is a cloud service.

To go a step further, the data indexed by Splunk resides within the software and never goes outside unless you configure it to do so.

osandstedt

Great, thank you for your answers 🙂

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

And I converted your answer to a comment! If you keep discussion in comments, and actual answers as Answer posts, that will make the site work much better for everyone, and allow for people to accurately know which questions have been resolved or not.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...