Knowledge Management

Migrating Splunk data from NFS to Block storage

brad63
Engager

What is the process from migrating Splunk data from NFS based storage to Block based storage?

Tags (2)

mikelanghorst
Motivator

There's nothing really special about NFS when storing the data there (other than performance issues). I'd just use "rsync -avot" to copy over the data. That way you can run it prior to your cutover time to get it close. Then shutdown, rsync a final time, change your configs, and start. When I'd done similar, though on SAN my multi-TB switchover only took about 15min of downtime.

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The only comment I'll make here is that if you rsync a bucket in its hot state (a directory name like hot_v1_15) and then later rsync again, but this time the bucket has been moved to warm (a name like db_1381409248_1381408249_15), Splunk will refuse to start because of the collision between the bucket IDs (the _15 at the end).

After your first rsync, but before your cutover, remove any hot buckets from the target system.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...