Knowledge Management

Joining Multiple index and sourcetypes

krishdeesplunk

I have two index and multiple sourcetypes. Hostname is the common.. I will to bring all possible information of that host from all ST.

index=I1 ST=S1
index-I2 ST=S2, ST=S3,ST=S4,ST=S5

Sourcetype= S2 to S5 belongs to same Index=I2

Things I tried

(index=I1 OR index=I2) (ST=S1 OR ST=S2 OR ST=S3)
|fields

Didnt worked

|multisearch
[search index=I1 ST=S]
[search index=I2 (ST=S1 OR ST=S2 ...]

didnt worked

3 |multisearch

[search index=I1 ST=S]
[search index=I2 ST=S2]
[search index=I2 ST=S3]

taking a lottt lottt time

What am i missing here.. what is the best approach to join two different index and one index having multiple Sourcetypes?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

jacobpevans
Motivator

(index=I1 sourcetype=S1) OR (index=I2 (sourcetype=S2 OR sourcetype=S3 OR sourcetype=S4 OR sourcetype=S5))

Cheers,
Jacob

If you feel this response answered your question, please do not forget to mark it as such. If it did not, but you do have the answer, feel free to answer your own post and accept that as the answer.
0 Karma

mguhad
Communicator

Hi,
You could use the | join command to achieve that result.
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Join

Alternatively, you could also have a look at *| append * command to achieve similar results based on your use case.
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.1/SearchReference/Append

0 Karma

krishdeesplunk

@mguhad Thanks for the Answer.
Using join will be very costly for this search i guess.. let me try

in Index 2 i have 8 different sourcetypes

0 Karma

mguhad
Communicator

perhaps you could to to one index, say the one with 8 sourcetypes...search it index=1 sourcetype=s1 OR sourcetype=s2.... OR sourcetype=s8
once you get that data, tag* it or create an eventtype that holds that data & thus will be able to combine the two indexes easily now that you have taken care of the index with many sourcetypes by assigning a tag or eventtype to the index with many sourcetypes

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...