Knowledge Management

If I config 2 Indexer in Index Cluster save frozen log into 1 disk, Log would be replicated?

jacknguyen
Path Finder

I have 2 Index in Index Cluster

Hot, Cold, Frozen 

Hot and Cold are different disks

Frozen will use same disk for both Index

my question is: " The log will be replicated, Or Can I save just one Index into a Frozen and use it for backup Index Cluster?"

0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jacknguyen,

yes, if you're speaking of frozen buckets, you don't need to save buckets from both the Indexers, but only one.

Put attention to one thing: in an Indexer cluster, buckets are present in two parts: the part indexed by the same Indexer and the part indexed by the other Indexer and replicated on the first: you have to back-up both of them.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jacknguyen
Path Finder

What if I just save only One Indexer for backup log, Is it work for both Indexer?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jacknguyen,

what do you mean with backup log?

in an indexer you have hot/warm and cold buckets, that you have to store in a filesystem (not NFS and not shared) and each one different.

If you want to have a copy of your data, you can do it, what what's the meaning of?

You can have a backup, but usually only warm and cold buckets are under backup policy because to backup hot buckets (that continously change) you need to stop Splunk.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

jacknguyen
Path Finder

Well I mean in Frozen log, If I save One Indexer and use it like a backup for Splunk Indexer Cluster. Is it ok? Or each Indexers just can use by only their Frozen. Sorry beacause the question is not clearly

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jacknguyen ,

in this case (Frozen buckets), you can use the above filesystem for Frozen  buckets., but not for hot, warm or cold buckets.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

jacknguyen
Path Finder

You mean, I can use 2 folder for two Indexer in a disk? I wanna ask If I just use one folder and save one Frozen' s Indexer 1 which can be used for backup data for all Indexer Cluster (both Indexer 1 and 2), Is that ok? I'm very hard to find document say clearly about this. My customer wanna know about that.

Do you know any documents Splunk say about this situation?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jacknguyen,

yes, if you're speaking of frozen buckets, you don't need to save buckets from both the Indexers, but only one.

Put attention to one thing: in an Indexer cluster, buckets are present in two parts: the part indexed by the same Indexer and the part indexed by the other Indexer and replicated on the first: you have to back-up both of them.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jacknguyen ,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hai @jacknguyen ,

It isn't a best practice to use the same shared disk for more Indexers for many reasons,One of the Is that NFS isn't to use for Splunk storage.

It this is the only way (with mucho care and sure problems!), eventually use different folders.

Ciao

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

How to Get Started with Splunk Data Management Pipeline Builders (Edge Processor & ...

If you want to gain full control over your growing data volumes, check out Splunk’s Data Management pipeline ...

Out of the Box to Up And Running - Streamlined Observability for Your Cloud ...

Tech Talk Streamlined Observability for Your Cloud Environment Register    Out of the Box to Up And Running ...

Splunk Smartness with Brandon Sternfield | Episode 3

Hello and welcome to another episode of "Splunk Smartness," the interview series where we explore the power of ...