Knowledge Management

Event Types on a Summary Index

srussellnpr
Explorer

Team,

I have a summary index that looks like this:

<search string> | sistats count by UserAgent

I also have a collection of event types that group various UserAgents, such that:

[ua_iPhone]
UserAgent="iPhone"

[ua_iPad]
UserAgent="iPad"

I'd like to query the si and end up with a list of top user agents, sort of like:

index="summary" search_name="si_useragent" | stats count by UserAgent | eval eventtype=mvfilter(match(eventtype, "ua\_.*")) | top eventtype

Is this possible? Advisable?

Thanks, -S.

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Stephen has given you an answer. As an aside, I recommend use of a lookup table rather than eventtypes for this use case.

0 Karma

srussellnpr
Explorer

Ah, precisely! It looks more like:

[ua_iphone] UserAgent="iPhone"

However, I was considering writing a script in python to create a dynamic lookup table, but then I heard about this eventtype approach.

0 Karma

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'd normally recommend a lookup as well, but my guess is that the actual eventtypes have wildcards, which CSV lookups don't play well with.

0 Karma

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, you should be able to do this by manually running the typer command after the stats count. For example:

index="summary" search_name="si_useragent" | stats count by UserAgent | typer | eval eventtype=mvfilter(match(eventtype, "ua_.*")) | top eventtype
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...