Knowledge Management

Error in 'lookup' command: Must specify one or more lookup fields.

neelesh_tiwari
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I have a lookup table with CVE listed which I dont want to be in our report so we have made the lookup table and adding it to the search 

| table Severity, "EC2 Instance ID", "EC2 Instance Name", "Rules Package", Rule, CreatedAt, Links, title, description, recommendation, numericSeverity | lookup ignore_cve.csv

But I am getting an error that " Error in 'lookup' command: Must specify one or more lookup fields."

So Do I have add something else after ignore_cve.csv

Kindly help.@lookup

Labels (1)
0 Karma

neelesh_tiwari
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I have added this " | search NOT [|inputlookup ignore_cve.csv]" but I am still getting all the CVE's which I dont want in my report.

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What is the field name of the CVE in your event results?

0 Karma

neelesh_tiwari
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Rule is the field name.

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

OK, so rename your field from the lookup to "Rule":

<yourSearch> NOT [|inputlookup ignore_cve.csv | rename "CVE Number" as Rule | fields Rule]
0 Karma

neelesh_tiwari
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I am sharing the query with you here so kindly advise.

`aws-inspector-findings` serviceAttributes.assessmentRunArn="*" `aws-inspector-rex-arn` | search (accountId="*") (region="*")| dedup arn| search (severity="*")| spath OUTPUT=agentId assetAttributes.agentId | where isnotnull(agentId)| eval CreatedAt=substr(createdAt, 1, 19) | join type="left" serviceAttributes.rulesPackageArn [search `aws-inspector-runs` arn="*" | dedup rulesPackages{}.arn | rename rulesPackages{}.arn as packageArn, rulesPackages{}.name as packageName| eval row=mvzip(packageArn, packageName, "|") | mvexpand row | rex field=row "(?<packageArn>.*?)\|(?<packageName>.*)" | table packageArn packageName | rename packageArn as "serviceAttributes.rulesPackageArn"]| rename packageName as "Rules Package"| eval Links = if(isnotnull(agentId), "<a id=topology_link>Show in Topology</a> | <a id=ec2_link>Show Instance Details</a>", "") | sort -numericSeverity | join agentId type="left" [search earliest=-1d `aws-description-resource((aws_account_id="*"), (region="*") , "*")` | rename id as agentId ] | rename severity as Severity, id as Rule, agentId as "EC2 Instance ID", tags.Name as "EC2 Instance Name"| fillnull value="N/A" | table Severity, "EC2 Instance ID", "EC2 Instance Name", "Rules Package", Rule, CreatedAt, Links, title, description, recommendation, numericSeverity | search NOT [|inputlookup ignore_cve.csv]

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What field name from this search do you want to match against which field name in the lookup?

In general: 

<yourSearchReturning <matchField>> NOT [| inputlookup lookupfile.csv | fields <fieldToMatch> | rename <fieldToMatch> as <matchField>] 

Of course you only have to rename if the field name in your event search is different from the one in the lookup file.

0 Karma

neelesh_tiwari
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I have used this query at the end of the search and it worked.

| join type=left Rule [inputlookup ignore_cve.csv | eval flag="0"] | search NOT(flag=0) | where isnull(flag)

I also tried your option which you have suggested and please find the result below.

NOT [| inputlookup ignore_cve.csv | fields Rule | rename Rule as CVE] but I am still getting the error though I have used "CVE" 

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You need to ensure that the inputlookup subsearch returns a field called "Rule", not CVE. 

The field/column you want to match in your lookup is named "CVE Number", so you need to rename that to "Rule" for the NOT condition to work against your events. 

NOT [|inputlookup ignore_cve.csv | rename "CVE Number" as Rule | fields Rule]
0 Karma

neelesh_tiwari
Loves-to-Learn Lots

neelesh_tiwari_0-1631551830486.png

@s2_splunk here is the csv file for your reference and also I will try the suggestion, keep you updated. 

0 Karma

neelesh_tiwari
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I have followed the below article.

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Why-am-I-getting-quot-Error-in-inputlookup-command-Inv...

Added this to my search :

NOT [|inputlookup ignore_cve.csv | fields CVE Number, DateAdded, Reason, CVSS Score]

But again getting this error : Error in 'table' command: Invalid argument: 'DateAdded=2021-09-09'

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You probably want something like 

index=xyz NOT [ inputlookup ignore_cve.csv ] | table ....

lookup is intended for 'translating' things, like key in, value out.

0 Karma

neelesh_tiwari
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hello @s2_splunk Thanks for your response and yes this is what I am looking for but seems one more error I am getting " Error in 'table' command: Invalid argument: 'CVE Number"..

CVE Number is my column name and table with vulnerabilities which I dont want to be in my search.

Regards,

Neelesh Tiwari 

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Try adding quotes to that field  "CVE Number" name or remove the space from the csv header? Without seeing the exact layout of your csv file and the current query, it's difficult to provide more advice. Maybe share header row and first couple of lines of your csv?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...