Knowledge Management

Best method for working with a large SQL table?

bwheelock
Path Finder

I'm new to DB Connect and just as inexperienced with SQL, but was tasked with getting some table data in to build a few reports and dashboards.

One issue I have is that the table is mostly flat and doesn't have a rising column to tail from. The best column for that would be a 'DateModified' column but it only provides the date and not the time, so if the record is updated twice in a single day I'm not sure how that would be picked up, if at all?

The other issue is that some of the data is already laid out in views, which are making lookup tables difficult. Would it be better to just run a scheduled query to outputlookup to a CSV?

capnjosh
Explorer

If you could just query the views, that might be easiest.

If you're concerned with the size of the table and if a long-running query from DB Connect might block other queries, just make sure you set the database connection in DB Connect to use "read uncommitted"... .and if it's SQL Server set the jdbc flag to use cursors (which I've found seems to prevent any blocking, especially on a large table query).

0 Karma

alanden_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

How exactly does one "set the database connection in DB Connect to use "read uncommitted"..."? Or "set the jdbc flag to use cursors"? The connection page doesn't seem to have those options. Is there a page with a guide?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...