Knowledge Management

Adding a field that contains either 1 OR 2 words

mmcap
Explorer

Hi all,

I'm having difficulty crafting regex that will extract a field that can have either 1 or multiple words.

Using the "add field" in Splunk Enterprise doesn't seem to be able to get the job done either.  The field I would like to extract is for the "Country" which can be 1 word or multiple words. Any help would be appreciated.

Below is my regex and a sample of the logs from which I am trying to extract fields. I don't consider myself to be a regex guru so don't laugh at my field extraction regex. It works on everything except The country.

User\snamed\s(\w+\s\w+)\sfrom\s(\w+)\sdepartment\saccessed\sthe\sresource\s(\w+\.\w{3})(\/\w+\.*\/*\w+\.*\w{0,4})\sfrom\sthe\ssource\sIP\s(\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+)\sand\scountry\s\W(\w+\s*)

11/17/23

2:25:22.000 PM

[Network-log]: User named Linda White from IT department accessed the resource Cybertees.THM/signup.html from the source IP 10.0.0.2 and country

France at: Fri Nov 17 14:25:22 2023

host = *****

source = networks

sourcetype = network_logs

[Network-log]: User named Robert Wilson from HR department accessed the resource Cybertees.THM/signup.html from the source IP 10.0.0.1 and country

United States at: Fri Nov 17 14:25:11 2023

host = *****

source = networks

11/17/23

2:25:21.000 PM

[Network-log]: User named Christopher Turner from HR department accessed the resource Cybertees.THM/products/product2.html from the source IP 192.168.0.100 and country

Germany at: Fri Nov 17 14:25:17 2023

host = *****

source = networks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It seems you copy-pasted your events from the Splunk GUI and they got a bit mangled so next time try to paste raw events, not the text from the search results and put it in code block (the </> button at the top of the editor on this page) or in the preformatted text style.

Anyway.

Since you can't reliably say beforehand what your Country field will look like (it can be just one word, it can contain spaces, maybe dashes) - you need to anchor it by providing a text which will always be _after_ that string so that the regex can know when to stop. Like

and\scountry\s(?<Country>.*)\sat:

This way everything that come after "and country "  and before " at:" will get extracted as your Country field.

You could fiddle with greediness of the match if you can have another "at:" later on in the event.

View solution in original post

mmcap
Explorer

That works perfectly. 

Thank you PickleRick

Tags (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It seems you copy-pasted your events from the Splunk GUI and they got a bit mangled so next time try to paste raw events, not the text from the search results and put it in code block (the </> button at the top of the editor on this page) or in the preformatted text style.

Anyway.

Since you can't reliably say beforehand what your Country field will look like (it can be just one word, it can contain spaces, maybe dashes) - you need to anchor it by providing a text which will always be _after_ that string so that the regex can know when to stop. Like

and\scountry\s(?<Country>.*)\sat:

This way everything that come after "and country "  and before " at:" will get extracted as your Country field.

You could fiddle with greediness of the match if you can have another "at:" later on in the event.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...