Installation

Why isn't my UF sending data to indexer?

Ziadm
Path Finder

I just set up the UF on my DC (it's a lab environment) and I can confirm that both are connected on the specified ports using netstat but I'm not getting any logs from my DC.
I'm also using Splunk add-on for windows and enabled logs for sysmon and AD only.

This is my inputs  file for the add on.

Ziadm_1-1664900964212.png

And I keep getting  these errors in my Splunk instance 
here's also the log file for splunkd

Ziadm_0-1664900781505.png

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Ziadm
Path Finder

I cant believe it , the solution in this thread  worked for me https://community.splunk.com/t5/Monitoring-Splunk/Tcpout-Processor-The-TCP-output-processor-has-paus...

i don't even know how this outputs file got there but alright 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Ziadm
Path Finder

another pic from the gui

Ziadm_0-1664904422177.png

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Ziadm,

as I asked in the previous question, I have some quistions trying to debug your issue:

• does you UF send logs to the indexer?, you can check on the indexer running a simple search like "index=_internal host=<DC_hostname>"
  • If yes, how are you taking DC logs, which add-on are you using?
  • if not, check the connection between UF and IDX using "telnet <ip_indexer> 9997"

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

Ziadm
Path Finder

So as i said already I'm not getting any logs from the DC and I'm using the Splunk add on for windows to get the logs  and yes i was able to telnet into using the 9997 port without an issue even though i didn't really need to because i had confirmed before with netstat that there was an established connection on this port between my dc and the Splunk instance and as per the this screen shot i believe it confirms that there's a connection between the two machines in fact  the deployment server is working fine  so i don't really know where the issue is to be honest , i had disabled the firewall on both machines but that didn't help at all

Ziadm_0-1664963009835.png

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Ziadm,

I'm not speaking of DC logs, I'm speaking of Splunk Universal Forwarder logs (index=_internal host=<DC-hostname>).

this is relevant to understand if the problem is in the connection or in the configuration.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Ziadm
Path Finder

Ok my bad so i ran the search and no the UF isn't sending anything,
i also ran all the searches here and they all returned 0 events 
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.4/Troubleshooting/Cantfinddata?_gl=1*ip55yp*_ga*NjE...2130356.1417374891.1664733351-617023476.1664733351
the last one though that i ran in the cli returned an ssl error that i think is irrelevant to my issue

0 Karma

Ziadm
Path Finder

you are more than welcome to remote into my lab and check things out yourself if you want to

0 Karma

Ziadm
Path Finder

I cant believe it , the solution in this thread  worked for me https://community.splunk.com/t5/Monitoring-Splunk/Tcpout-Processor-The-TCP-output-processor-has-paus...

i don't even know how this outputs file got there but alright 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Ziadm,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...