Installation

When adding a new search head member to an existing cluster, I cannot for the life of me get the Kvstore to initialize

briancronrath
Contributor

In the splunkd.log I can see the following: 

"Local KV Store has replication issues. See introspection data and mongod.log for details. Cluster has not been configured on this member. KVStore cluster has not been configured."

If I check the kvstore-status it just says the kvstore status is down for this new member.  The normal shcluster-status shows as UP and the kvstore as ready however for this new member.  Not sure what I can do to try and force the kvstore to initialize?  I have tried shutting splunk down on the new member and doing a kvstore-clean and restarting but it still isn't taking.

Splunk version 9.0.0

Any thoughts on what else I can try?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since one of main points of the search-head cluster is to have stuff replicated, in case of problems with a single node it's often easiest to scratch it completely, reinstall and add to the cluster as a fresh node.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

as @PickleRick said, remove whole splunk installation (e.g. yum remove splunk) from this node and use also rm -fr /opt/splunk. Then just install it again and follow up this https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.4/DistSearch/Addaclustermember

That is the way how I do it if there are any issues with new node.

And remember you cannot/shouldn't try to add any used instance into SHC!

r. Ismo

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yep +1 on that. I might not have been clear enough on that point. The instance added to a SH cluster should be completely "clean".

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...