Installation

Upgrade Splunk from 8.2.6 to 8.2.12 or 9.0.6

carlospeto
Engager

Hello Splunk community,

I am new as splunk administrator here in the company and a few days ago i received the requirement to upgrade the splunk version.

We have splunk 8.2.6 and the minimum version required is 8.2.12, I'm not sure how big is the risk in upgrading process as we need to be sure the information in indexers is going to be safe and splunk must be operational.

i have read some of the upgrading documentation to version 9.0.6 but as is said i am not sure the best option with the minimum risk.

Do you have any advice?

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

as  "Splunk Enterprise version 8.2 is no longer supported as of September 30, 2023. See the Splunk Software Support Policy for details. For information about upgrading to a supported version, see How to upgrade Splunk Enterprise." it's best to go to 9.0.6.

Probably the biggest issue could be python2 if you are using it on some apps or modules. You could check that by  "Upgrade readiness app". Just ensure that it's running on your environment and give you a valid responses. Also you should read  https://lantern.splunk.com/Splunk_Platform/Product_Tips/Upgrades_and_Migration/Upgrading_the_Splunk_...

With those you should manage for updating the environment. Of course if you have distributed multisite environment with search head cluster and some enterprise apps then those instructions are not enough for any new admin. Then you should have some test environment and/or ask help from Splunk professional services or some other company which are concentrating to Splunk.

r. Ismo

View solution in original post

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

as  "Splunk Enterprise version 8.2 is no longer supported as of September 30, 2023. See the Splunk Software Support Policy for details. For information about upgrading to a supported version, see How to upgrade Splunk Enterprise." it's best to go to 9.0.6.

Probably the biggest issue could be python2 if you are using it on some apps or modules. You could check that by  "Upgrade readiness app". Just ensure that it's running on your environment and give you a valid responses. Also you should read  https://lantern.splunk.com/Splunk_Platform/Product_Tips/Upgrades_and_Migration/Upgrading_the_Splunk_...

With those you should manage for updating the environment. Of course if you have distributed multisite environment with search head cluster and some enterprise apps then those instructions are not enough for any new admin. Then you should have some test environment and/or ask help from Splunk professional services or some other company which are concentrating to Splunk.

r. Ismo

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...