Installation

Upgrade Splunk ESCU on Search head clsuter members

vikas_gopal
Builder

Hi Experts , 

Someone has installed ESCU app directly on the Search head members . Now I am upgrading this app to a newer release . 

Question :- Since this app was not installed from the deployer but I want to upgrade it via deployer what is the best practice and method to achieve this 

Here is my plan , please correct me if I am thinking wrong 

Step 1) First I will copy the installed folder from one of the SHC member to deployer under /etc/app so that it install itself on the deployer and then I can manually upgrade it using deployer GUI

Step2) Once upgraded , I will copy upgraded app from /etc/apps folder to /etc/shcluster/apps folder 

Step3) run apply shcluster-bundle on the deployer to push the upgraded app to SHC members .

Do you think above is the right approach ? if not what else I can do 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @vikas_gopal ,

only one detail:

for my knowledge, the only app that requires to be installed on the SHC-Deployer is Splunk Enterprise Security,

all the other apps (so also ESCU) don't require to be installed in the SHC-Deployer, you can only copy and untar them in the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/shcluster folder and then push them to the SHC memebers.

In genetal, avoid to install an app directly on a SH member.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

tej57
Contributor

Hello @vikas_gopal,

Yes, the steps you have mentioned seems to be the appropriate to continue managing the app from SHC Deployer in future. 

Thanks,
Tejas. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk is Nurturing Tomorrow’s Cybersecurity Leaders Today

Meet Carol Wright. She leads the Splunk Academic Alliance program at Splunk. The Splunk Academic Alliance ...

Part 2: A Guide to Maximizing Splunk IT Service Intelligence

Welcome to the second segment of our guide. In Part 1, we covered the essentials of getting started with ITSI ...

Part 1: A Guide to Maximizing Splunk IT Service Intelligence

As modern IT environments continue to grow in complexity and speed, the ability to efficiently manage and ...