Installation

Universal forwarder upgrade matrix

ssuluguri
Path Finder

Hi All,

We have various splunk UFs running on windows ,unix machines . We are planning to upgrade all the versions to latest universal forwarder .

We have versions from : 6.5.0 to 8.2.7 .

Our plan to upgrade to 9.x  

Can someone help intermediate versions to upgrade from 6.5.0 to 9.X 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ssuluguri 

As per the doc - https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/VersionCompatibility/current/Matrix/Compatibilitybetweenforwar...

the UF's should be able to upgrade directly from 6x to 9x. 

may we know the Splunk indexer version pls, thanks. 

EDIT - Pls check this doc: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.0/Installation/AboutupgradingREADTHISFIRST
it is suggesting.... "Upgrading a universal forwarder directly to version 9.0 is supported from versions 8.1.x and higher."

So, better you upgrade from 6x to 8.1x and then to 9.0.x, thanks. 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

ssuluguri
Path Finder

We are on splunk platform .

We have server reporting to on prem Deployment servers and outputs configured to send cloud indexers .

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Forwarders are not as sensitive to particular upgrade path as "full" Splunk Enterprise instances are. I remember upgrading all the way straight from 7.2 to 9.0.

I'm not sure about as far back as 6.5 but with a reasonable backup of configuration I wouldn't expect many problems.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
I’m not 100% sure if this is true or not? All UFs have fishbucket db for tracking ingested files. My guess is that this db needs some converting time by time. For that reason I propose to follow the same path with versions than you are following with enterprise. Other option is just backup your configuration then remove whole installation and start from scratch with old configuration. It’s your decision you want also save the UF’s GUID or not.
r. Ismo
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't think fishbucket has been tampered with since the time it was moved from being an index to a local datastore. So I wouldn't expect problems here.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK: a Step-by-Step Guide for ...

Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step guide for newbies Olga Malita The ...

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...