Installation

Splunk License Report - Previous 60 days - Charts have 30 colums only

altink
Builder

Hi

In the Splunk's License Usage Report,  for the "Previous 60 days", the two first charts "Daily License Usage" and "Percentage of Daily License Quota Used" have only 31 columns - instead of the expected 60.

license-usage.png

Splunk version is 9.0.41

Just wanted to report

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
This seems to be a bug on that dashboard. There shouldn’t be any fixed days, instead it should offer time picker for you to select needed time span and then use it. Probably the easiest way is just create your own dashboard with time picker and fix it that way? Please create also an support case for it as Splunk should have a dashboard which shows that statistics based n their current license policy/model.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

altink
Builder

Thank You very much @gcusello 

OK that I go for _internal retention from 30 to 60 days.

But when I open - "Open In Search" - the two first dashboards, the code is as below

Daily License Usage

index=_internal [`set_local_host`] source=*license_usage.log* type="RolloverSummary" earliest=-30d@d   | eval _time=_time - 43200 | bin _time span=1d | stats latest(b) AS b by slave, pool, _time | timechart span=1d sum(b) AS "volume" fixedrange=false | join type=outer _time [search index=_internal [`set_local_host`] source=*license_usage.log* type="RolloverSummary" earliest=-30d@d | eval _time=_time - 43200 | bin _time span=1d | dedup _time stack | stats sum(stacksz) AS "stack size" by _time] | fields - _timediff  | foreach * [eval <<FIELD>>=round('<<FIELD>>'/1024/1024/1024, 3)]

Percentage of Daily License Quota Used

index=_internal [`set_local_host`] source=*license_usage.log* type="RolloverSummary" earliest=-30d@d   | eval _time=_time - 43200 | bin _time span=1d | stats latest(b) AS b latest(stacksz) AS stacksz by slave, pool, _time | stats sum(b) AS volumeB max(stacksz) AS stacksz by _time | eval pctused=round(volumeB/stacksz*100,2) | timechart span=1d max(pctused) AS "% used" fixedrange=false

As you see, there are " earliest=-30d@d" in both of them, two in the first dashboard and one in the second.

I guess I need to set those to " earliest=-60d@d". 
Otherwise, extending the retention to 60 days, would have any value ?

best regards
Altin

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
This seems to be a bug on that dashboard. There shouldn’t be any fixed days, instead it should offer time picker for you to select needed time span and then use it. Probably the easiest way is just create your own dashboard with time picker and fix it that way? Please create also an support case for it as Splunk should have a dashboard which shows that statistics based n their current license policy/model.
0 Karma

altink
Builder

Further more, if I "open In search" the search code of the two dashboards, and change every occurrence of -30d@d to -60d@d, and search, there will be 60 bars - last 60 days.

This happens although the frozenTimePeriodInSec = 2592000 (30 days) for index _internal.

Do we really need to double this setting?

It looks that just changing -30d@d to -60d@d,  is enough.

best regards
Altin

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @altink ,

if the report is OK for you, let  the actual configuration.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

altink
Builder

I can have the result with 60 days without changing index retention. I do not know why.

But I have to change the -30 days to -60 days in Splunk-owned form that does not allow editing.

Guess I will keep this in mind and see if Splunk will change any thing in the coming versions.

best regards
Altin

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @altink ,

yes, you have to modify it.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

altink
Builder

But this form has no Edit button.
Which means it is not meant to be modified other then by Splunk itself.

0 Karma

altink
Builder

I do have data on my _internal index for much longer then. At least from sourcetype splunkd

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @altink ,

retention is defined at index level, so you cannot have a different retention for a sourcetype.

If you didn't modified the retention of this index ,by default it's 30 days and ususlly is reducted to save disk space.

See in the Monitoring Console or in [Settings > index] what's the latest event in your _internal index to understand the retention of your _internal index and eventually enlarge it changing the frozenTimePeriodInSecs parametr in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/indexes.conf file _internal stanza.

If you didn't modified this file before you haven't it in the local folder, so you have to copy the stand from the same file in the default folder.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

altink
Builder

Is it a problem if I modify it directly under the defaul folder?
Is a restart needed after ?

best regards
Altin

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @altink ,

never modify something in the default folder!

at the first upgrade you'll loose every changes.

copy the entire file or only the stanza to modify in the local folder and modify the value.

At the end, restart Splunk.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

altink
Builder

This is a Splunk's form, not mine, not of any third party app (be this Splunk supported).

If a label on a form says last 60 days, then the respective dashboards should be showing the last 60 days - ad not less.

Ps. at my _internal index there are data much earlier then 30 days. Ex. can search data from early November 2023. Didn't try earlier.

regards
Altin

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @altink ,

the issue isn't in the dashboard that's correct, the issue is on the Data retention that is less than 60 days.

If you want 60 days report,you have to enlarge the _internal retention.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

jotne
Builder

Try this Dashboard we do use.  

Change this (2 places) host="your-license server"   to name of your license server.  If you have only one server or run the code on the license server, just remove the host="your-license server"  complete.  It will show on line red line that is your license limit and one bar graf that shows GB license use pr day.  To get MB, just remove one /1024

<form version="1.1" theme="dark">
  <label>Used License</label>
  <fieldset submitButton="false">
    <input type="time">
      <label></label>
      <default>
        <earliest>-3mon</earliest>
        <latest>now</latest>
      </default>
    </input>
  </fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <chart>
        <search>
          <query>
            index=_telemetry host="your-license server" source=*license_usage_summary.log* type="RolloverSummary" 
            | eval _time=_time - 86400
            | bin _time span=1d
            | stats latest(b) AS b by slave, pool, _time
            | timechart span=1d sum(b) AS "volume" fixedrange=false
            | join type=outer _time
              [ search index=_telemetry host="your-license server" source=*license_usage_summary.log* type="RolloverSummary" 
              | eval _time=_time - 86400
              | bin _time span=1d
              | dedup _time stack
              | stats sum(stacksz) AS "Limit" by _time]
            | fields - _timediff
            | foreach "*"
              [ eval &lt;&lt;FIELD&gt;&gt;=round('&lt;&lt;FIELD&gt;&gt;'/1024/1024/1024, 3)]</query>
        </search>
        <option name="charting.axisTitleX.visibility">collapsed</option>
        <option name="charting.axisY.minimumNumber">0</option>
        <option name="charting.chart">column</option>
        <option name="charting.chart.overlayFields">"Limit"</option>
        <option name="charting.drilldown">all</option>
        <option name="charting.fieldDashStyles">{"Limit":"shortDash"}</option>
        <option name="charting.seriesColors">[0x006D9C,0xFF0000]</option>
        <option name="charting.lineWidth">4</option>
        <option name="height">800</option>
      </chart>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @altink,

it depends on the retention of your _internal data: if you want to have 60 days, you have to enlarge the retention of your _internal index.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

jotne
Builder

You should look at the _internal index size before changing it

| dbinspect index=_internal
| stats sum(sizeOnDiskMB)

In our setup with 30 days of internal index, size of file is 680GB.  So double the time, double this file.

As you see above, I posted a dashboard uses _telemetry index instead to see index uses.  Our telemetry index is 215 MB of size.  We have change  _telemetry to 20 years, since it does not take up much space:

[_telemetry]
# This is 20 years to get longer historical license useage.
frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 788400000

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
As @gcusello said, default retention for _internal index is not for 60day. You must extend it. Check also other internal indexes to avoid harming surprises.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...