Installation

SPLUNK Forwarder on VIOS

kenbaugher
Explorer

We just installed the forwarder on one of our VIOS systems to ensure we could get this working, however each time we try to start it up we see the below in our splunkd.log

02-09-2024 13:28:54.797 -0600 WARN ulimit [80544161 MainThread] - A system resource limit on this machine is below the minimum recommended value: system_resource = Data segment size (ulimit -d); current_limit = 134217728; recommended_minimum_value = 536870912. Change the operating system resource limits to meet the minimum recommended values for Splunk Enterprise.

02-09-2024 13:28:54.797 -0600 INFO ulimit [80544161 MainThread] - Limit: data file size: unlimited

02-09-2024 13:28:55.258 -0600 WARN Thread [86376799 HTTPDispatch] - HTTPDispatch: about to throw a ThreadException: pthread_create: Not enough space; 43 threads active. Trying to create batchreader0

We issued the ulimit -d command to update this to unlimited, however still seeing the issue.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kenbaugher
Explorer

This was perfect, TY.   I updated /etc/security/limits with the appropriate values and all is working now.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

danielcj
Communicator

Hello @kenbaugher ,

The ulimit -d configuration will only present the current ulimit configuration. 

Please use the following Splunk doc to apply the ulimits configuration:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.2.0/Troubleshooting/ulimitErrors#Set_limits_using_.2F... 

Thanks.

0 Karma

kenbaugher
Explorer

This was perfect, TY.   I updated /etc/security/limits with the appropriate values and all is working now.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...