Installation

Reboots required after app/add-on update

tsheets13
Communicator

I am preparing to upgrade numerous apps and add-ons. I will be using deployment server for all changes. The changes will affect searchheads, indexers, and forwarders. How do I determine if the target nodes need reboot after a change is applied?

Labels (4)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi tsheets13,
at first, as suggested by @somesoni2, read Splunk docs.

Anyway, to be sure, you can force a restart on Universal Forwarders with no problems.
About Search Heads and Indexers, I think that you haven't clusters!
So i don't like to use Deployment Server for these kind of systems because I cannot control Splunk restart, so i prefer to do this manually.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

tsheets13
Communicator

I do have a multisite cluster.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Make sure you are using the Master Node for Index Clusters and the Deployer for Search Head Clusters.

The need for a Splunk restart on SH and Indexers is actually determined by the app getting deployed. Splunk UI should provide a message to notify if a restart is required.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

if you have a multisite cluster, you cannot use DS to update Indexers, eventually, it's also possible to use DS to update Master Node that deploys upgrades to Indexers
Anyway, for Forwarders, reboot isn't a problem.
For Search Heads, if you have a cluster, you can manually upgrade Apps on Deployer or use DS to upgrade the Deployer that will upgrade SHs.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...