Installation

Process for moving indexers to new datacenter with new IP address.

jonathanpeckham
Explorer

Hi All,

We will be moving our physical indexers from one datacenter to another datacenter. The new datacenter will have a new IP address scheme so I'll need to re-IP the indexers after they're in the new datacenter. We have a multi-site index cluster, 2 sites with 2 indexers in each site. I will move one site at a time and during the move both indexers in that site will be unavailable; the other site will still be up and able to index though.

The general plan I've come up with is as follows:

1.) On cluster master put cluster into maintenance mode
2.) Take peers in site offline
* Do I want to disable splunk auto-start on boot?
3.) Power servers down
4.) Modify monitoring console assets.csv file changing old indexer IP to new indexer IP
5.) Modify cluster master distsearch.conf file changing old indexer IP to new indexer IP
6.) Move servers to new datacenter and power-on
7.) Change IP address on Indexer and verify connectivity to cluster master and search heads
8.) Start Splunk on indexers
9.) Verify re-connection with cluster master
10.) Verify logs are being indexed
11.) Verify search against indexers works
12.) Verify no errors in Splunk logs

Am I missing any steps here?

If you've done something similar and have pointers you'd like to share I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Jon.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...