Installation

Prevent over-index volume usage for free edition?

ayachem

Our normal index volume is less than 100 MB a day, putting us squarely in the free edition usage range. However, over the weekend, an SQL server hit a size limit and proceeded to dump 20 GB of logs (8 GB/day) to the windows event log. Yea, gigabytes. So subsequently my Splunk went over-limit for those 3 days and I can no longer search. Is there any option to set a limit from the Splunk data input side to prevent this sort of massive overage?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

~ Michelle

0 Karma

seanwong
Explorer

You may want to consider using a Splunk Forwarder on your SQL server. On the splunk forwarder configure your inputs.conf as normal, but you'll need to modify your maxkbps throughput limit, to prevent over indexing.

limits.conf:
[thruput]
maxKBps =
* If specified and not zero, this limits the speed through the thruput processor to the specified
rate in kilobytes per second.
* To control the CPU load while indexing, use this to throttle the number of events this indexer
processes to the rate (in KBps) you specify.

If you're reading from an open socket for your data instead of log files, you may also want to consider using persistentqueues to prevent dropping data if you cannot read/send fast enough.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...