Installation

Installation issue

splunk9000

I received this error message: splunk enterprise setup wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified.
I use Windows Server 2012 R2. I received this error only when I selected domain\user account

Any help will be good. Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Apparently the domain user account doesnt have permission to read and write in the splunk folder.

OR doesnt have permission to run as a service (Group Policy).
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794944(v=ws.10).aspx <- allow user to run as service

Abbreviated solution:
A local administrator will need to.... go to start -> run -> gpedit.msc [click ok]

GroupPolicyObject [ComputerName] Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings ->Local Policies ->User Rights Assignment -> change "Log on as a service." to have domain user account within the list of allowed accounts.

splunk9000

I use GPO. I have the domain group "domain\Splunk Accounts". I created the "domain\Splunk" user and added it to "domain\Splunk Accounts" group, This group has "Log on as a service" rights on the server where I try to install Splunk server.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So does the user have write access to program files directory?

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What version of Splunk Enterprise? Are you installing in English or another language? Does your domain user have the right permissions to install? You might have to run the installation as Administrator.

There are a few other Answers postings about the same error message:

splunk9000

Hi Chris,

1. splunk-6.3.2-aaff59bb082c-x64-release.msi
  2. I use English system locale
  3. I use the domain admin account for installing
  4. Yes, I run splunk-6.3.2-aaff59bb082c-x64-release.msi under Administrator command prompt

Thanks,
Arthur

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...