Installation

How do I install the Distributed Management Console to a different path within the same server?

tkwaller
Builder

Hello

I am scripting the install of Splunk Enterprise in my virtual env and it works great. What I would like to do now is script the install of the DMC (Distributed Management Console) to a different path, something other than /opt/splunk/, maybe something like /opt/splunkdmc/.

I know this can be done but no idea how to achieve it

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Todd Waller

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

daniel333
Builder

tkwaller,

Consider using the TGZ version of Splunk rather than your platform's native package manager (e.g. RPM's on Redhat/CentOS).

Example procesure would be something like -

1) Create the directory you want, like /opt/mydirectory
2) mv splunk_package_name.tgz /opt/mydirectory
3) tar xvzf splunk_package_name.tgz
4) splunk start --accept-license

Don't forget to set ownership of the files to user "Splunk" or what ever you're planning on running Splunk as.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bheemireddi
Communicator

Since the MC comes with core Splunk, it just gets installed (if you are installing splunk in /opt/splunk, then MC will appear in /opt/splunk/etc/apps.), you just enable/configure under UI->settings->Monitoring Console.
Follow the below link to configure MC and understand the right instance to configure it.
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.1/DMC/Configureindistributedmode

0 Karma

daniel333
Builder

tkwaller,

Consider using the TGZ version of Splunk rather than your platform's native package manager (e.g. RPM's on Redhat/CentOS).

Example procesure would be something like -

1) Create the directory you want, like /opt/mydirectory
2) mv splunk_package_name.tgz /opt/mydirectory
3) tar xvzf splunk_package_name.tgz
4) splunk start --accept-license

Don't forget to set ownership of the files to user "Splunk" or what ever you're planning on running Splunk as.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You are misunderstanding completely. The MC is a capability (app) of any Search Head. It does not require a separate install of Splunk; it just needs to be enabled by configuring it. Why are you overloading your ES? Just spin up another box and install it as a search head and point it at your indexer tier. Leave the MC as a non-clustered Search Head all on it's own and only let admins login. The only thing that I would share on the MC is the License Manager.

0 Karma

tkwaller
Builder

So I do understand that any search head has this app and I also know that its just enabled and configged on what you want to be the master, did it in our MASSIVE production env.

What I am WANTING to do is have it not installed at /opt/splunk/ but a different path

The license master will also be on this host as well as it being the deployment server as well, which is why I ask about paths

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

But why? Why would you EVER want to run a 2nd instance of splunk on the same server just to run ONE app that is already on the server? It makes no sense and will chew up a TON of duplicated resources for no reason that you have indicated or that I can guess.

0 Karma

tkwaller
Builder

"Dedicated Deployment Server and license Master - If your install grows beyond just a single Splunk instance (talking indexers & search heads here, not forwarders), set up a separate server to be a license manager & Deployment server. A VM is fine for these purposes, and can actually be a benefit to be on a VM. You can even use the tarball install to put these multiple instances on the same box/VM. Say one in /opt/splunk, one in /opt/deploymentserver, and one in /opt/licenseserver. Run them on different ports of course."

0 Karma

jonasmeier
Explorer

Again, to avoid confusion of future readers and stress woodcook's point:

One instance of Splunk can fulfill multiple roles!

So to have one Splunk instance act i.e. as license master, cluster master and DMC you do not have to install 3 instances! Instead you configure the necessary stuff for the 3 roles on the same instance.

There's some role Splunk tells you not to combine them (i.e. Cluster Master and Deplyoment). But generally this works like a charm while installing 3 instances on the same server is definitively a mess and 3 VMs would be unnecessary and lot of overhead (ressource- and managment-wise).

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...