Installation

Edit (overwrite) values in conf file in local directory on SHC members using deployer

dan_
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi,

what is the best way to edit (overwrite) values in savedsearch.conf file in local directory on SHC members using deployer?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

dan_
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Let me explain with scenario.

I have below savedsearch.conf file on SHC member's directory /splunk/etc/apps/my_apps/local/

savedsearch.conf

[sample_stanza]

x = sample_value

I want to edit(overwrite) the file as below.

savedsearch.conf

[sample_stanza]

x = new_value

If I edit savedsearch.conf file in /splunk/etc/shcluster/apps/my_apps/local/ on deployer and push it to SHC members as local_only mode, it will not change the value of x to new value since the existing config has precidence. So in this case how can I overwirte the value of x = new_value in SHC members using deployer ?

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It seems that it's not possible with the deployer. All deployment options which touch the local config explicitly state that "the existing configuration on the member takes precedence". It makes sense - If you give some user permissions to edit some app's configuration (be it saved search, lookups, dashboards, whatever), why would you want to overwrite it, possibly destroying consistency if you delete some objects on which other objects rely?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...