Installation

Creating and installing TLS Certificates on Windows 2022 Server

tringener
Explorer

I am new to Splunk and I have been tasked to setup management and data traffic to use SSL certificates. A colleague installed Splunk 9.2.1 on Windows 2022 server on a separate application drive. A document I found on the Splunk documents site "How to obtain certificates from a third-party for inter-Splunk communication". The commands use environment variables that are not setup on my server.

Questions:

1. Where these variables supposed to be added during the install?

2. If not which variables do I need to add and where do I add them (user or system) variables?

3. Is there a major difference in configuration if Splunk is installed to an application drive not the O/S drive?

4. In generating the privatekey.key file is it supposed to be saved in the same folder as the servercertificate.csr?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

Tom_Lundie
Contributor

The %SPLUNK_HOME% variable that you noted in this documentation is not defined outside of the Splunk process by default.

%SPLUNK_HOME% refers to the Splunk installation folder on Windows. Typically:

C:\Program Files\Splunk

You can run all of those commands as the user running Splunk by either setting the environment variable or replacing it manually first. To permanently set the environment variable you can use:

setx SPLUNK_HOME "C:\Program Files\Splunk"

Read more here.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

How to Get Started with Splunk Data Management Pipeline Builders (Edge Processor & ...

If you want to gain full control over your growing data volumes, check out Splunk’s Data Management pipeline ...

Out of the Box to Up And Running - Streamlined Observability for Your Cloud ...

Tech Talk Streamlined Observability for Your Cloud Environment Register    Out of the Box to Up And Running ...

Splunk Smartness with Brandon Sternfield | Episode 3

Hello and welcome to another episode of "Splunk Smartness," the interview series where we explore the power of ...