Installation

Couldn't determine $SPLUNK_HOME or $SPLUNK_ETC;

syloee
Explorer

hi everyone

i installed splunk after delete splunk 

i go /splunk/bin and ./splunk start

i see error message "ERROR: Couldn't determine $SPLUNK_HOME or $SPLUNK_ETC; perhaps one should be set in environment"

how i can do?

thank you very much!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@syloee you could try setting splunk_home variable as advised here - https://community.splunk.com/t5/Deployment-Architecture/Where-is-splunk-installed-on-Linux/m-p/12313...

--

An upvote would be appreciated and accept solution if it helps!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

Please mark one of the answers as valid in order to help future users.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma

syloee
Explorer

thank you

0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

Did you re-install Splunk as the root user? If so, the directory permissions might be off.

Assuming you are running Splunk as the splunk user, try using chown -RP splunk:splunk /opt/splunk

You can additionally modify $SPLUNK_HOME in /opt/splunk/etc/splunk-launch.conf (assuming you installed on Linux to the default directory).

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma

syloee
Explorer

thank you very much

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@syloee you could try setting splunk_home variable as advised here - https://community.splunk.com/t5/Deployment-Architecture/Where-is-splunk-installed-on-Linux/m-p/12313...

--

An upvote would be appreciated and accept solution if it helps!

0 Karma

syloee
Explorer

thank you very much!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...