Installation

Can Splunk monitor Proliant and/or Supermicro HDD failures - and if so, how do I set it up?

MikePGenpro

I'm evaluating Splunk's utility to replace Solarwinds - I find that SW is extremely clunky to configure what I consider a basic hard disk failure alert. We have HP Proliant servers at present and will be moving to Supermicro servers in the future.

I want to configure Splunk to report on HDD failures - when the light goes red on the drive, Splunk notifies us. I cannot for the life of me find how to make this happen in the documentation, answers, wiki, etc. Can someone point me at this?

0 Karma

nikhilmehra79
Path Finder

Proliant can send SNMP Traps --> log them in a log file, read it using Splunk Fowraders, obviously you need to have some understanding of SNMP. I am not sure but check if the alerts can be output in any other form .

Its simple with any such customization - you need to have good understanding of MIB's (trap MIB's).

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

How does the device report failures? Does it have a log file or does it report to one of the OS logs?

What OS is running on the servers?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...