Installation

Can I install Splunk UF version 9.0.3 version in those Windows 2008 R2 machines will it be able to collect logs?

anandhalagaras1
Communicator

We are running with Splunk Cloud version 9.0.2208.4 and all the other components such as HF and other client machines are running with a minimum of version 9.0 and above but we have few critical Windows client machine running with Windows 2008 R2 OS. And there are very important critical logs needs to be ingested into Splunk from those machines.

So can i install Splunk UF version 9.0.3 version in those Windows 2008 R2 machines will it be able to collect logs and is it supported?

Or do I need to install some lower version and get them ingested? What is the recommended solution to get the logs ingested into Splunk.

Kindly help on the same.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @anandhalagaras1,

the last supported version od Splunk Universal Forwarder, certified on Windows 2008/R2, is 2.7.9.1 (https://www.splunk.com/en_us/download/previous-releases-universal-forwarder.html#)

I don't know the end supporting date of this release, but I suppose it will not be very long!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

anandhalagaras1
Communicator

@gcusello,

Thanks for your response.

So i believe its 7.2.9.1 version. But one query is that if we install 9.0.3 version will it work and whether it can able to collect the logs from windows 2008 R2 client?

0 Karma

anandhalagaras1
Communicator

@gcusello ,

Sorry to disturb so just curious to know whether i can go ahead and install 9.0.3 or 7.2.9.1 which one is recommended?

since for 7.0.x UF version  Splunk indexer 9.0.x is supported. 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @anandhalagaras1,

on 2008/R2 7.2.9.1 is supported and certified  so use it, probably also the new 9.x will run but it isn't certified and if you have problems Splunk Support doesn't help you.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

anandhalagaras1
Communicator

@gcusello ,

Thank you..

0 Karma

anandhalagaras1
Communicator

@gcusello ,

Thank you for the confirmation.

So i will go ahead and install 9.0.3 latest version in my Windows 2008 R2 machine and will check whether the events are getting ingested as desired.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @anandhalagaras1,

if one answer solves your need, please accept one answer for the other people of Community or tell me how I can help you.

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

anandhalagaras1
Communicator

@gcusello ,

I have accepted the answer and provided the Karma points as well.

Thank you..

0 Karma

anandhalagaras1
Communicator

@gcusello Can you kindly help on my requirement please.v

0 Karma

anandhalagaras1
Communicator

Can anyone kindly help on my request please.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...